Dental Exams & Professional Teeth Cleaning in Calgary, AB
PREVENTING PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY START
The health of your teeth and mouth are very important to the well-being of your entire body, and while routine brushing and flossing at home is necessary to keep your smile looking its best, visiting your dentist for a comprehensive exam and cleaning is essential. It is recommended that you visit your dentist every six months to ensure your teeth stay healthy and your smile stays beautiful.
BY ROUTINELY SEEING YOUR DENTIST FOR EXAMS AND CLEANINGS, YOU CAN:
- Prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
- Save money by avoiding costly and extensive dental procedures.
- Keep your teeth white by reducing staining from food and drinks.
- Shorten the time spent in your dentist’s office.
- Have a smile that will last a lifetime.
Comprehensive Dental Exam
- Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): To find decay, tumours, cysts, bone loss, and tooth positions.
- Oral cancer screening: To check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: To check your gums and bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Examination of tooth surface: To check for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: To check your fillings, crowns, veneers, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
- Professional dental cleanings (scaling, root planing, and polishing) are done by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam by the dentist and:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has formed on the tooth and will be firmly attached. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and can be removed with appropriate dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that inflame the gums, which is the start of periodontal disease and can effect your general health!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.