Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with your dentist, you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come.
Here are a few simple ways that you can prevent the build-up of plaque and cavities:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Be sure to brush your tongue to reduce any additional plaque.
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day. You can also use a mouthwash to help kill bacteria and freshen your breath. Decay-causing bacteria can linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. Floss and mouthwash will help remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid extra-sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese, or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with your dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants, a protective plastic coating that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where decay often starts.
- If you play sports, be sure to ask your dentist about special mouthguards designed to protect your smile.
If it’s been six months since your last dental checkup, then it’s time to contact our practice and schedule your next appointment!
At Centennial Smiles Dental, we believe in preventative care by catching problems early. That’s why we’re excited to offer our patients the chance to have oral check-ups using the newest Velscope technology. Velscope takes advantage of natural tissue fluorescence to test oral tissues for abnormalities simply by shining a special light over your mouth. There are no dyes involved and the procedure is quick, often taking less than two minutes.
We appreciate Velscope technology as a powerful tool for early detection in all sorts of oral problems. Many complications with oral health are difficult to see during the early stages. Since health care outcomes are generally best the sooner problems are found, Velscope is a valuable tool for helping patients live healthier, happier lives. Using Velscope, we actually see tissue damage that would be invisible under normal light: viral, fungal, and bacterial infections will stand out; depending on the cause, inflammation will be more obvious; and pre-cancer, oral cancers, and even tumors in the saliva glands are easier to spot and diagnose.
When it comes to oral cancers in particular, screening and early detection is the key to long-term health. Velscope has been cleared by the FDA, endorsed by Health Canada and the World Health Organization (WHO), and it has won numerous awards for its contribution to dental technology and oral health.
Here at Centennial Smiles Dental, we already love the Velscope. We think it’s a great tool, and we’re proud to be able to screen all of our patients easily and quickly. We know that using the Velscope will help us detect invisible problems sooner, and that in turn will benefit our patients. If you want to learn more about the Velscope, we encourage you to bring your questions to Centennial Smiles Dental. We’d be happy to discuss the process, technology, and potential benefits. Call us today at 587-353-5060.