Healthy gums are pink and pain-free. They aren’t red, white, swollen or tender and shouldn’t bleed when you brush or floss. Healthy gums appear firm and close to the teeth. Teeth should be firm, not loose, and a healthy mouth should have a neutral smell. So, how can you attain and maintain healthy teeth and gums?
Steps for healthy teeth and gums:
- Use the right toothbrush: Select a soft-bristle brush with varying bristle heights. Replace your brush every 3 to 4 months.
- Pay attention to your brushing technique: Brush twice a day placing your brush at a 45 degree angle to your gums and moving it in short gentle strokes and small circular motions. Turn your brush vertically to clean the insides of the front teeth, brush the chewing surfaces with short back and forth strokes and lightly brush your tongue.
- Use the right toothpaste: Brush with fluoride toothpaste. You may consider “all-in-one toothpastes” for ingredients that help care for your teeth and gums.
- Floss daily: If you find flossing difficult, try a dental pick (a small plastic pick that removes large food particles caught along the gum line or between the teeth) or flossers (a small plastic tool with a curved end that holds a piece of dental floss).
- Use fluoridated mouthwash daily
- Rinse your mouth after eating: This helps rid the mouth of food and bacteria that can lead to plaque and tartar build-up.
- Use a gum stimulator: Available in drug stores, a gum stimulator is a device with a rubber tip used to gently massage the gums stimulating blood flow.
- Stop Smoking: Smoking makes a person more susceptible to gum disease by weakening the immune system.
- Pay attention to your diet: Include more fruits, vegetables black or green tea, and dairy products. Consume less soft drinks, alcohol, candy, sweets, and starchy foods that stick to the teeth.
- See your Dentist: Book regular visits with your dentist who can spot the signs of early gum disease and tooth deterioration.
Daily oral-care and regular dental check-ups can create and maintain healthy teeth and gums. If you’re looking for an experienced dental care professional who can help keep your teeth and gums in great shape, call Centennial Smiles at 587-353-5060.